Why do they make the web/browser so complicated?
I know that CA is a multi-$$$$ business, and no one wants’ to give it up.
It would be easier to give the security to the domain owner or the domain registrar.
So the browser don’t have to be setting rules how the net should work, nor anyone else.
– i have a software that use openSSL and generate a (RSA/EC/etc..) key pair (private & public).
– the software save the private key, and does not display it, it store it in hardware or software.
– the software display the public key, & save it to a file public.key
– the domain owner create a HPKP dns record with the public key.
– then use the software to create certificate with the private key, but only for the domains with the public key in the dns record.
Then all the browser has to do a dns lookup on the website domain name for the public key to decode the certificate. the browser will then open an encrypted cache file, and save the website domain name, a hash of the certificate & hash of the public key, with a time to live value of 3 hrs (so as to check if the public key has changed).